Taken from my Real Moms of West Michigan series on STAR 105.7 with Tommy and Brook… It’s Graduation season and they made it…no, YOU made it! Homework, sports, first loves and braces. It’s time to celebrate so put away the Kleenex for a minute and let’s throw a party! Here are some simple and fun ideas to make your day great.
1. Put up a video camera on a tri-pod and hit record for the party. Also, make a sign that asks the guests to say a few words to the graduate, it will be lots of fun watching this later!
2. FOOD! Be creative with food. It’s ok to step away from the ham and cheese sandwiches.
- Baked potato and salad bar
- Taco bar
- Appetizer and Dessert party
- Brinner! Breakfast for dinner is a fun buffet that people love.
- Search Pinterest! I have a board all set up with a bunch of great ideas and you can find that on my website.
- Dollar stores are your friend! You can find all kinds of great stuff there: lawn signs, balloons, plates, etc
- An easy table decoration: Colored M & M type candies that you can find right in the bulk food section
- Pick out your child’s school colors and add a few curly ribbons around them and call it good!
4. Stressing about getting the house ready? Have a destination party: host the party at a local hotel or restaurant. A local venue is ideal if you plan to have a large number of guests at the party.
5. Theme Party: Base the whole party around a sport or activity that your graduate loves. Video games, TV Shows, Twitter, travel, music, COFFEE…whatever they enjoy.
Another fun idea to have at a graduation party is get the book “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!”…by Dr. Seuss and have all the guests attending sign the pages as a keepsake for the graduate. Most importantly: Real Moms are not afraid to ask for help! If your child is graduating, you probably know a couple other moms who are also planning parties, barter help with each other so you can spend time visiting with the guests. Then do the same for them. So, those are a few ideas, check out my Pinterest page for lots more. And congrats to all the graduates and their great moms that got them there!! Click to listen to segment: Real Moms of West Michigan on Star 105.7 I do the ‘Real Moms of West Michigan’ segments on Star 105.7 with Tommy and Brook every Tuesday morning around 7:05 AM. If you are not in the West Michigan area you can listen on iHeart radio More that might interest you: Has God Been Calling You to Step Out? Six Ways To Connect With Your Kids Helping Our Kids Deal with Separation